Tuesday, July 20, 2010

First date- average amount of time...?

I'm meeting a guy that I met online for dinner and was wondering what the average amount of time a first date lasts? I got out of a long term relationship 8 months ago and it's been a long time since I went out with anyone new...





Here's the deal- we've been talking for a couple of months online and that was okay... he asked me to dinner, to which I said yes (after awhile of him asking). Well at that point I gave him my number and he called me... we talked for 2 hours and as much as I hate to say it- I was BORED!!! I already accepted the date and I don't know how to cancel without seeming like a b****. I'm kind of dreading the date, but I know he's looking forward to it and it would be so mean to cancel the day before... I'm just looking to get the date over and done with but I don't want to seem rude. So how long does it generally take to have dinner and whatnot and leave without it being rude???

First date- average amount of time...?
Maybe in person the conversation will be better. Phone conversations-especially for guys tend to be hard. Have dinner, do the polite after dinner conversation for about 20 minutes and say that you should get going. if you still aren't interested in him after meeting, dont lead him on like you are now. If he says we should do this again, dont agree. Just be honest and tell him that even though he is a great guy, you just dont have that chemistry. be nice about it and leave with your dignity and his respect.
Reply:I never recommend first dates to be dinner. A lot can go wrong in by the time the appitizers come and you would still have the salads, main course, and dessert (and possibly the lingering after dinner drink). I usually recomend meeting for coffee, which should take no more than an hour, and if it goes well you can move on to a dinner that same night or you can plan a next date to follow closely after.





But because you accepted a dinner date go ahead with it. But meet him with your own car. That way you can leave on your own if things get rough. I'd say give it an hour and a half to two hours. Start that date off by saying something like "I hope you don't mind but I have (blah blah blah) in the morning and unfortunately cannot stay out too late tonight." Do this before you have a chance to get bored and it won't seem like you are trying to get away from him. If after two hours you are just totally bored, look at your watch and mention that it's getting late and you muust be going. If you are having a good time, still start to wrap things up but try to make plans for a next date. You'll look credible if you stick to you initial "I can't stay out late..."





Don't have your friend call in the middle of dinner and pretend to be your mom saying that Aunt Sally was taken to the hospital. You are not fooling anyone.





I one time had a 5 hour first (and last) date over dinner. It was brutal. Don't get stuck in something like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment