Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sony Digital Cameras - Why NO Date / Time Stamp?

I just bought a Sony DSC-W80 digicam. Great camera for a great price. However, I just discovered that the newer Sony models do NOT have the ability to superimpose the time/date on your pictures. I have owned two other Sony Cybershots in the last five years. Both have had this feature standard. You can turn it on or off at your desire (the way it should be). I just assumed this feature was still standard (shame on me).





After doing some research, even the more expensive Sony models do not have this feature anymore. WHY? WHY? WHY? I know about the Sony software that allows you to add the dates before you print them out. I know the date stamp is embedded in the picture file. But wasn't it so much easier the "old" way??? I know that I can add dates individually in Photoshop for example. But is this practical when you want to print 200 pics with a date stamp from an online photo site? I'm taking the Sony back. Any sugg. on a good $200 digicam with a date stamp option?





Thanks!!!

Sony Digital Cameras - Why NO Date / Time Stamp?
I know the Canon Powershot point and shoots can place the date stamp on the photos, but they only do it on the smallest size photo, suitable only for 4x6 prints.





Steve
Reply:There is no longer any reason to mark up a perfectly good print with date and time. You can put that on the back of the print with a number 3 pencil and back it up with a copy of the image file.





All that information (and much more) is located in the files EXIF data. If you need proof of the date and time, it is there along with the camera, camera model and focal length, shutter speed and f/stop.





To do what you want, you will either have to just use the old camera with the old technology or buy a film camera that embeds that information on the film.





What application are all these prints used for? I have been thinking and cannot for the life of me figure it out. The fact is, if you have entered the incorrect date and time in the camera, there is no way to tell that, so as a documentation tool, is it suspect.


No comments:

Post a Comment